Some people don’t like tofu because it tastes kind of plain. The dish I’m introducing today is a Cantonese tofu dish, light but with rich flavor.
700g Chinese tofu
150g -200g minced pork
1 dried mushroom soaked in water (optional)
2 spring onion
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp cooking wine
1 tsp dark soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp ground Sichuan pepper (optional)
1/2 tsp five spice (optional)
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp cornflour
1/2 tsp salt
- Finely chop the soaked mushroom, ginger and the spring onion, keep half of the ginger and 1/3 of the spring onion for later use. Place the rest in a bowl with the minced pork.
- Add 1 tbsp of light soy sauce, 1 tbsp of cooking wine, 1 tsp of sesame oil, ground Sichuan pepper and five spice, mix well. Crack the egg in, add 1 tsp of cornflour and salt, mix in one direction until it become a paste.
- Put the rest seasoning ingredients in a bowl to make a sauce, add 2/3 cup of cold water, mix well for later use.
- Cut the tofu into cubes about 4cm on each side. Using a teaspoon to make a deep hole of each tofu cube. Make sure to not to cut through the base.
- Fill each hole with the pork stuffing, fill in as much as you can.
- Heat up a frying pan with 3 tbsp of cooking oil over strong heat. When the oil is hot, place the tofu cubes in the pan, stuffing side down. Turn to mid heat, cook for about 3 minutes, when the down side turns to gold brown in color, flip over to cook for another 3 minutes. Take out for later use.
- Add 1 tbsp of cooking oil, turn to strong heat, add the remaining ginger and spring onion to stir-fry. When you get the aroma, give the prepared sauce a quick mix, then add to the pan and stir constantly.
- When the sauce bubbles and starts to thicken, put the tofu cubes in one by one. Turn to mid-low heat, cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 3-5 minutes, so the tofu cubes can absorb the flavor of the sauce. Take out and serve with steamed rice.
- For the left over tofu and stuffing, you can mix them together to make meat balls and fry together with the tofu cubes.
- Or mix the tofu with finely diced spring onion, sesame oil and salt, then you get another light cold dish.