In the North of China, during the winter, Fried Vegetable Balls gets very popular, it’s deep-fried and has a lot of nice vegetable flavor in it. You can always find it on the street, or in supermarkets. But I prefer to make it at home by myself, because it is really easy to make, and you can use whatever vegetables you like.
Fried Vegetable Balls
150g spring onion
65g bread crumbs
1tbsp plain flour
1/3tsp five spices powder
1/3tsp prickly ash powder
- Grate the carrots into shreds, finely dice the spring onion.
- Put the shredded carrots, diced spring onion and all the other ingredients in a big bowl, mix well.
- Choose a right sized pot, add enough cooking oil for deep-frying, heat up the pot.
- Wait until the oil is very hot, turn to low fire. Roll up the mixed ingredients into balls 2.5cm (1 inch) in diameter. Put into the oil to deep-fry until they are golden brown in color. Take out and put into a plate with kitchen paper to absorb the extra oil. Ready to serve.
- You can always put more kinds of vegetables in it, such as cabbage, spinach and onion. You can also use other kind of radish instead of carrot.
- You don’t need to roll the balls very round and tight, just roll it up into a loose round shape and make sure it doesn’t break up in the oil is enough.
- Always keep an eye on them, to ensure they won’t be burned.
looks good and easy to make, definitely want to try it out