In the North of China, during the winter, Fried Vegetable Balls gets very popular, it’s deep-fried and has a lot of nice vegetable flavor in it. You can always find it on the street, or in supermarkets. But I prefer to make it at home by myself, because it is really easy to make, and you can use whatever vegetables you like.
- Grate the carrots into shreds, finely dice the spring onion.
- Put the shredded carrots, diced spring onion and all the other ingredients in a big bowl, mix well.
- Choose a right sized pot, add enough cooking oil for deep-frying, heat up the pot.
- Wait until the oil is very hot, turn to low fire. Roll up the mixed ingredients into balls 2.5cm (1 inch) in diameter. Put into the oil to deep-fry until they are golden brown in color. Take out and put into a plate with kitchen paper to absorb the extra oil. Ready to serve.
- You can always put more kinds of vegetables in it, such as cabbage, spinach and onion. You can also use other kind of radish instead of carrot.
- You don’t need to roll the balls very round and tight, just roll it up into a loose round shape and make sure it doesn’t break up in the oil is enough.
- Always keep an eye on them, to ensure they won’t be burned.