Fried Prawns with Cashew Nuts is a traditional dish in the Guangdong area. This dish has a light fresh flavor, is very popular among ladies and children.
Fried Prawns with Cashew Nuts
200g shelled fresh king prawns
70g cashew nuts
1/2 spring onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp salt
1/3 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp cornflour
3 tbsp cooking wine
1/2 tsp sugar
- Place the prawns in a bowl, add 1/2 tsp of salt, 1 tbsp of cooking wine and ground white pepper, mix well. Add 1/2 tsp of cornflour and 1 tsp of cooking oil, mix well. Put the prawns in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Cut the spring onion into small sections, slice the garlic and ginger into pieces. Mix the remaining cornflour with 3 tbsp of cold water for later use.
- Heat up a wok with cooking oil over low heat, when the oil is about 70℃, put the cashew nuts in to deep-fry. Keep mixing the nuts, as soon as they changes color, take out and place on kitchen towel to drain off the oil.
- Keep the same wok with oil over strong heat, put the prawns in to stir-fry. Take out once they change color. Drain off the oil.
- Put a clean wok with 2 tbsp of cooking oil over strong heat, when the oil is hot, put spring onion, garlic and ginger in, stir-fry until there is a nice smell, take out and keep the oil in the wok. Put the prawns and cashew nuts in, stir. Add 2 tbsp of cooking wine, sugar, 1/2 tsp of salt. mix well. Thicken with 1 tbsp of mixed cornflour water. Turn off the heat, sprinkle a few drops of sesame oil and take out.
While frying the cashew nuts, keep heat low because they are very easy to be overcooked and burned.